Cyprus Beef Stifado
- 1.5 kg stewing beef, such as chuck or top rump , trimmed, cut into 7cm pieces
- 24 baby onions
- 4 ripe tomatoes , or 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 fresh bay leaves
- 1½ teaspoons allspice berries
- 6 whole cloves
- 1-2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 125 ml dry red wine
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Place the beef in a large non-reactive bowl. Add the marinade ingredients, peeling and finely slicing the garlic first, then cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Peel the baby onions. If using fresh, peel and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan and sauté the onions for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Sauté the beef, reserving the marinade, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Return the onions to the saucepan, add the marinade, tomatoes and tomato purée and enough water to just cover the stew.
- Season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil then simmer for 1½ to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with pasta and grated hard cheese, such as kefalotiri, pecorino or Parmesan.